"Essences, Orcs and Civilization" (26 Sep 2002)
- Uni/CA, San Diego orders a student group to remove links to a website citing the USA Patriot Act.
- An extract from Metamagical Themes by Hofstadter. Metamegical Themes was quite highly recommended to me, I should get round to getting a copy at some point. [via JDarcy]
- How to tell your personality type from your code. [via LtU]
- Ecstasy drug 'may trigger Parkinson's'. It used to be that the hydrogen peroxide would get you, now it seems they have decided that you'll see a dopamine again. If it really caused "severe and long-lasting drop in dopamine levels" you would have thought that someone would have noticed before? Maybe I'm just cynical, but I would like to see the money trail behind this research. (then again, the poor Prof might be the victim of media misreporting as we all know how well technical stories are handled)
- "200 students at Scarsdale dance were drunk". Nothing very interesting, just amusing to see how seriously it's taken in the US given how mild it sounds to me
- Zen garden secrets revealed
This text is really the perfect speech to give to the Libertarians, esp the part about their drugs policy. In fact, I can't pull out a single paragraph that I want to take issue with.
Now all I need is for someone to write a nice, lucid essay on how money is not the territory.